Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Central Municipal Power Agency Services, Eden Prairie, MN
To Apply: Resume, including letter of interest, shall be submitted only via e mail to: CMPAS General Counsel at firstname.lastname@example.org. All resumes will remain confidential.
Central Municipal Power Agency and Services Job Description
POSITION: CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER (CEO)
SALARIED FLSA OVERTIME EXEMPT POSITION
The CEO, subject to control of the Board of Directors, shall in general: (i) manage, supervise and control all of the business, property and affairs of the Agency; (ii) determine the operational procedures, systems, and organizational structure required to fulfill the Agency’s goals and objectives; (iii) directs the Agency’s relationship and position on electric industry issues with governmental agencies, legislative bodies, other utilities, member utilities, city government, other industry associations and the general public.
Reports to: CMMPA/CMPAS Board of Directors
Supervises: Senior Management and others as appropriate.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ESSENTIAL DUTIES includes the following but the Board of Directors may assign other duties:
- In partnership with the Board, defines and build consensus around the mission, vision, values and strategic priorities of CMPAS every three years to ensure member needs are met. Provide quarterly update on the progress of the strategic plan to the employees and Board.
- Develops and recommends policies, procedures, and strategic practices to the Board to facilitate appropriate policy-making to fulfill CMPAS’s Strategic Plan.
- Provides accurate, timely information and strategizes on matters relevant to the strategic short-term and long-term direction of CMPAS.
- Keeps abreast of new developments in the industry that could have an impact on CMPAS.
- Evaluates and interprets information from internal/external sources related to legislative and regulatory initiatives, human resources, opportunities with CMPAS members, potential new product and service opportunities, etc.
- Assures adequate resources as approved by Board of Directors to meet present and future member needs by guiding the activities of Agency departments, including dispatch operations; wholesale marketing activities, transmission, power supply and resource planning, and accounting.
- Directs and manages all communication efforts and creates strategies to enhance relationships and inform CMPAS members and their city governments on issues that will have an impact.
- Assesses member needs for support, and determines how CMPAS can best serve the members.
- Evaluates, develops and implements new business initiatives to strengthen the Agency and its members.
- Makes presentations to the members and their governing bodies, as well as, legislative and regulatory entities when appropriate.
- Assures the Board is kept well-informed of, and is provided the opportunity for input into CMPAS activities by guiding and directing the public and member information functions, and through visits to member communities annually.
- Develops the policies and programs necessary to optimize the human resource development potential of CMPAS staff and meet the short-term and long-range goals and objectives of the Agency.
- Monitors compliance with all human resources policies including employment/retention, employee benefits administration, employee relations, training/development, job descriptions, job evaluations, compensation, and legal compliance.
- Maintains a highly motivated and productive workforce while ensuring cohesion between the Blue Earth and Eden Prairie offices.
- Promotes an understanding of CMPAS goals and objectives through sound employee and member relations’ practices.
- Attends all board meetings and regularly presents at those meetings and participates in board discussion.
- Promotes team concept.
- Responsible for matters related to debt financing and debt offering statements and other activities related to bond pricing, sales, and closings.
- Procures advantageous financing for Agency resources by timing and maintaining relationships with major capital markets and through guiding Agency financial functions.
- Assures the efficiency of internal operations by planning, prioritizing, organizing, and directing the development of policies, compensation plans, budgets, expense control mechanisms, and other internal administrative tools.
- Oversees development and implementation of CMPAS’s business plan including annual budget, monthly financial reports and annual performance benchmark report.
- The CEO must project the image of Agency and personify its values. Those values include high ethics and uncompromising integrity, respect for others, strong and open communication and the ability to both lead and be a team player.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- Strong understanding of the electric industry, including, but not limited to, Public Power, power supply and transmission planning, development of new programs and managing day to day operations; and state and federal regulatory regimes.
- Strong understanding of wholesale energy markets and in particular MISO
- Experience in business development, project management and contract negotiation
- 10 years of work experience in the electric utility industry, with at least some substantial managerial or supervisory experience
- Experience reporting to, or interacting with, a board of directors preferred
- Strong ability to organize effectively, delegate responsibility, solve problems quickly, and communicate clearly
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Business, Accounting or similar major; an MBA or equivalent experience is preferred.
The physical demands associated with this position are consistent with those typically required of a full-time office job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; reach with hands and arms, use hands to finger, and talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to handle and feel objects, tools and controls and to stand, walk, kneel and crouch.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- This position requires travel throughout the region and occasionally, other parts of the country.
- Having a valid Minnesota driver’s license and the ability to operate motor a vehicle for extended periods of time is required.
- Overnight travel occasionally may be required in specific instances for training, conferences, etc.
Note: This job description is subject to change at any time. This job description does not constitute an employment agreement with the CEO